Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Every little bit counts

I just love this journey we've been on towards living more simply. We are getting there, baby step by baby step. Just a little bit at a time.

I know if I let myself, I would read everything I could get my hands on, in order to research every aspect, make loads of lists of things we could do, another million lists on how to do all those things and then meticulously plan a schedule for when to implement said things.

My OCD side is just itching to do just that.

But NO, baby steps. Little, one at a time baby steps. If I launch myself headlong into it, I know that I'll overdo it and give up all too soon , so it's try the new 'baby step' approach time.

And do you know what? It's working!

Due to living in such a dry country, and given the terribly dry winter we've just had our dam water supplies are at an all time low. It's only just turned into Spring and the government has already introduced water restrictions, we can only use sprinklers once a week at the moment. I predict by summer we won't be able to use the sprinklers at all, and maybe not the hose either. Oh how my poor garden will suffer.

So the latest live more simply / eco move we have made is to keep buckets in the showers to catch the wasted water while we wait for the shower to heat up. We do the same in the kitchen and I could hardly beleive we've been wasting up to 3 buckets of water A DAY. Wow! Also I'm saving the water from Charlie's evening bath to reuse also.

This saved water goes out each morning to the vegetable pot garden to give precious nourishment to my little plants during this warm weather.

There is so many more things we would like to do, but they need time and money, but I'm hopeful that the time will come where we can finally implement many of them. I'll just have to be patient I guess.

Maybe in the mean time I can do just a little research, and maybe just write a short list?

1 comment: