Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The beginning.

So where was I? Oh yes. Simple Living.

To me living simply means many things. It's actually quite hard to articulate what it means to me, but some of the things I would like to achieve from living simply are :

  1. Finding ways to reduce dependence on modern technology and conveniences.
  2. Living in harmony with our Earth. Being Green in other words.
  3. Improving our health through healthy eating and exercise.
  4. Reducing stress, and increasing joy in my home.
  5. Finding peace in myself.

As I previously wrote I've been letting this idea simmer in my brain for a little while to see what naturally progresses.

I didn't want to make a huge list of things I could do to live more simply. A list implies to me that I have to do it all, that it needs to be done perfectly, to almost force things to happen.

No, this time I want it to evolve naturally, step by little step, in the hope that whatever happens will stick. As an idea takes form in my mind of a new way to achieve one of my aims, then I will just let it happen when the time feels right. I guess I just don't want to feel overwhelmed by all the possibilities.

And right now it feels right to revamp the food issue.



I want to buy everything that I can fresh, local and organic. No more supermarket fruit and vegetables pumped full of steroids, kept in cold storage for months then going rotten within 2 days of buying it.

It has been the convenience factor that has kept me buying fruit, vegetables, eggs, milk, meat etc at the supermarket. Shopping for a three week period for 5 people (including 2 ravenous teenage boys), with a toddler in tow is hard enough without going to multiple shops to accomplish this. I usually end up with 2 trolleys worth of stuff so I need the bigger boys to come with me each time also. It can be such a chore to do the shopping. But maybe breaking it up into smaller runs to a couple of different shops may actually be less stressful (hey I can achieve two of my aims at the same time!).

So next shopping trip I'm going to the local farmers market, stocking up on fabulous fresh, healthy and tasty food, and only then buying what other things I need from the supermarket to supplement this.

Not only do I want to start buying organic and fresher I want to change the way we eat also. Although we usually only eat a limited amount of processed food, I would like to find ways to cut down further on that front. I do cook from scratch most nights, no frozen or packaged foods generally. I also bake a lot of cakes, muffins and biscuits rather than buy pre-made ones (home baked treats are not only healthier but also a cheaper way to fill the bellies of my ever hungry boys). But I'm sure there are many more ways I can amend our diet.



I shall now bid you adieu for this evening. I'm off to search Google for a few new food ideas. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Way to go getting yourself motivated and on the path of your choosing!

    ReplyDelete